Functional Safety Engineer Job
Posted on: June 12, 2021
PACCAR is a Fortune 500 company established in 1905. PACCAR Inc
is recognized as a global leader in the commercial vehicle,
financial, and customer service fields with internationally
recognized brands such as Kenworth, Peterbilt, and DAF trucks.
PACCAR is a global technology leader in the design, manufacture and
customer support of high-quality light-, medium-, and heavy-duty
trucks under the Kenworth, Peterbilt and DAF nameplates. PACCAR
also designs and manufactures advanced diesel engines, provides
financial services and information technology, and distributes
truck parts related to its principal business.
Whether you want to design the transportation technology of
tomorrow, support the staff functions of a dynamic, international
leader, or build our excellent products and services - you can
develop the career you desire with PACCAR. Get started!
PACCAR Embedded Engineering
PACCAR Embedded Engineering is a rapidly expanding organization
that is transforming the way control systems and software are
developed for commercial vehicle applications. This includes
developing the latest vehicle controls, display technology, and
autonomous truck solutions that exceed customer expectations. You
will collaborate with an international, cross-functional team
focused on driving superior technical solutions that maximize
customer uptime and operating efficiency. Successful applicants
will demonstrate individual creativity in addressing challenges and
opportunities while working within a supportive team to develop
industry-leading solutions for the medium- and heavy-duty truck
PACCAR's Embedded Engineering department, which serves both
Kenworth and Peterbilt, has an opening for a Functional Safety
Engineer focusing on ADAS functions. This position requires an
experienced professional with deep understanding of the ISO 26262
and ISO 21434 standards. Our ideal candidate exhibits a can-do
attitude and approaches his or her work with vigor and
determination. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate
excellence in their respective fields, to possess the ability to
learn quickly and to strive for perfection within a fast-paced
environment. The ideal candidate will be able to deliver critical
program goals across multiple projects, and continue to enhance
PACCAR's global functional and system development processes.
Job Functions / Responsibilities
- Define item definitions for Autonomous vehicle functions.
- Perform Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment (HARA)
- Perform safety analyses: DFMEA, FMEDA, FTA, DFA per ISO 26262
- Define the functional safety concept for the relevant system,
hardware, and software according to ISO 26262 standards
- Develop functional and technical safety requirements for heavy
- Define security controls for system level design
- Coordinate with distributed teams for managing security scope
during software development activities
- Assess technology proposals from external suppliers for their
potential to meet risk management design objectives
- Support internal and external functional safety and security
compliance efforts required by ISO26262 and ISO 21434
- Develop and maintain expertise in automotive best practices for
functional safety, Safety of the Intended Function (SOTIF), and
safety in use.
- Track design concepts and vehicle functionality through design
and testing phases and provide support for validation
- Maintain safety related artifacts/documents and perform review
with cross-functional teams
- Work with global teams to deliver common, cost-efficient
- Support functional safety and security related audits and
- Up to 10% travel (domestic and international)
Qualifications & Skills
- BS in Engineering or related field required; MS in Engineering
or related field.
- Experience in system engineering for control
systems/code/architecture on autonomous trucks or passenger
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with ISO 26262 and other
- Familiarity with a security management framework such at ISO
21434, ISO 27001, NIST CSF, etc.
- Understanding of designing, developing, and validating
- Experience in modeling and simulation of dynamic systems,
preferably automotive background.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts or data in a
- Independent judgment and effective decision-making skills.
- Experience with automotive or commercial vehicle networks, such
as CAN, SAE J1939 and LIN preferred.
- Experience with Application Lifecycle Management and System
Modeling tools such as IBM DNG, IBM Rational Rhapsody, IBM Rational
Team Concert preferred.
Additional Valued Attributes
- Knowledge of applied cryptography for provisioning secure
- Knowledge of secure development techniques using static and
- Familiarity with AGILE software development processes
- Awareness of heavy duty commercial truck regulations,
especially affecting instrumentation, emissions, safety, On Board
Diagnostics, and other areas that impact electrical and electronic
design, architecture, and functionality
- Experience with structured product development processes
PACCAR is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Job Segment: Safety Engineer, Safety, Engineer, Risk Management,
Electrical, Engineering, Service, Finance
Keywords: PACCAR, Kirkland , Functional Safety Engineer Job, Other , Kirkland, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!